What is the cosmetic action of the ear surgery?
Ear surgery or otoplasty is used for deformation of one ear or both ears of a person. Patients not satisfied with the size, appearance and protrudes of their ears can change the appearance of their ears by an operation to get a look they have wanted in their life. Otoplasty also includes ear or earlobe size reduction, and also correcting the cauliflower ear (an ear which has loosen its shape because of damage) to remove the excess skin and cartilage of the ear. Since ears are very important in the appearance of a person, otoplasty can improve and enhance self confidence of patients by obtaining a better look.
Ear reconstruction and otoplasty
Ear reconstruction and deformation surgery often performed by topical anesthesia for adult and general anesthesia for children. Surgeon makes an incision just behind the ear to access to the cartilage of the ear. Therefore he can change the cartilage and remove the excess skin. At the end ear become near to the head and the incision closed by stitches. Otoplasty takes about two hour based on the needed activities in the surgery.
Ear reconstruction surgery is used for a patient with protruding ear; it changed the position of the ear and makes it closer to the head. In this surgery, the removed skin from the behind of the ear is combined, ear cartilage become smaller and scoring technologies applied for finding the suitable place of ear. Combined techniques help the surgeon to create the ideal look and suitable place for patient’s ear.
Usually most of the different techniques are used for completing ear reconstruction process during otoplasty surgery. The selected technique by surgeon depends on the amount of repair on the patient’s ear. Different methods of ear reconstruction and its deformation are classified into two groups: making the cartilage small, and cartilage scoring (cartilage incision).
- Scoring techniques of cartilage include creating needed incision in cartilage for changing the appearance of ear or adding or removing the ear tissue. When using this technique it is possible that larger incision created on the ear, but people hardly can detect the incisions.
- Techniques of making cartilage small use stitches for changing the position and appearance of ear. Otoplasty of small cartilage is non-invasive and often lead to a natural and suitable appearance for curvature of ear. Ear reconstruction surgery is a kind of otoplasty which is used for repairing unsuitable appearance of ear and damages on ear. This kind of surgery usually used for repairing unusual malformed, small ear (microtia) it is a congenital condition in which 3 in every 10000 children are born with this condition. Reconstruction surgery is needed for following damages: burn, torn, infectious spots, or pierces on the ear.
Reconstruction surgery is a combination of different surgical techniques and other reconstruction surgeries which are used for reconstructing of a natural appearance for ear. Sometimes, by removing the needed cartilage from the patient’s rib and transplanting it with patient’s ear one can get a natural look. When skin transplant is needed, the needed tissue removed from the patient’s hip and then transplanted at the intended place.
What is bilateral otoplasty surgery?
While some patients just need repairing of one ear, many of the patients have beauty problems in both ears. Bilateral otoplasty is an ear deformation and reconstruction surgery which performs on both ears of the patients. Its surgery is the same as the surgery of one ear and also has the same recovery, complications and advantages. Although post surgery side effects such as irritation and heartbeat may be observed a little more in bilateral otoplasty, they should be in the least level.
Surgery of Reducing the Ear Size
Some patients are worried about the size and appearance of their ears than protruding. One form of otoplasty which is known as surgery of reducing the size of ear usually used for changing the appearance of ear and can create a more natural appearance for patient’s ear. Surgery of reducing the size of ear which can be including the reducing of earlobe is an outpatient surgery which is possible for both children and adults. During the surgery, the surgeon will remove cartilage and skin in order to manipulate the ear for a small size and make a pleasant ear shape. This kind of surgery can lead to ear symmetry and balance and usually the obtaining result are completed by using reconstruction techniques.
Candidates of otoplasty
Ears are parts of body which people cannot hide them from the sight of others. Sometimes, long hair can cover them but it is temporal. In fact many people put jewelry on their ears therefore they are very visible. Thus, when one is worried about the appearance of his/her ears may ashamed of it. Therefore, many of these people can use ear surgery or otoplasty for solving their problem. Children may always be teased by their classmate, people who has no self-confidence because of their ears, or people who suffered from the damages on their ears are a few examples of the people who can use otoplasty for solving their problem.
On the other hand, some children born with serious ear failure, thus they are the most suitable candidate for ear reconstruction otoplasty. If you think you are a better candidate for the surgery following information can help you to make your decision.
Traditional otoplasty against reconstruction otoplasty
Traditional otoplasty also known as ear reconstruction surgery is a surgery in which oversized or protruded ears can be corrected and set back closer to the head. It gives a person a more natural and beautiful look. Reconstruction otoplasty can correct the serious damages on ear which may be congenital or some other external damages. Some of the damages can be corrected by reconstruction otoplasty including:
- Cagot ear: a congenital defect characterized by ear without an earlobe.
- Lop ear: ear is more like a cup and ear curve is toward the inside.
- Rolling ear: ears are rolled forwards and its outer vestibular is closed
- Wildermuth’s ear: characterized by a backward oriented helix that is toward the head of the patient.
- Stahl’s ear deformity: in which ear folding is so unusual which produced a pointed elfin ear
- Making incision in the earlobe which leads to a dent in earlobe.
- Question mark ear or Cosman ear: in which ear is like a question mark, in this form earlobe ha a specified distance with skull and ear curve is in an outer place than natural form.
- Microtia: This is characterized by small and undeveloped ears.
- Macrotia: the ear is oversized.
- Constricted ear: a part of ear lack the needed cartilage and skin in outer part of the ear.
- Cryptotic ear: the above part of ear curve is hidden in the side of the head
Other normal damages include:
- from top layer and filled with fluid and changed permanently.
- Skin cancer and malignant melanoma although is not a beauty problem, otoplasty can eliminate the cancer skin and help the retrieving of the remaining tissue.
Although most of the conditions are because of congenital problems, most of people may hate their oversize or protruded ears. They are a good candidate for using traditional otoplasty, but they should consult a surgeon to choose the suitable method for them.
You should consider that cannot make a miraculous ear for the new appearance. Thus suitable understanding of the surgery is necessary and the patient should be familiar with the realistic results and related dangers.
The benefits of otoplasty
The benefits of otoplasty for the patient are as follows:
- A safe surgery with rare danger
- Corrects many of the ear defects
- Children will not be teased by their friend by this surgery
- Increases self-satisfaction and self-confidence
- The least recovery period, about one week
- Improve the person’s emotional and mental conditions
- The least level of incisions
- Retrieving the person’s natural appearance
- Choosing the ideal look of your ear